Route Map

Loading Map

Friday, June 6, 2008

There be Dinosaurs


Aiden and I ended up being in Calgary a little bit longer that expected. It did, however, work out for the best as I now have a pair Shimano Ultegra shifters that allow me to glide effortlessly from gear to gear (at $450 for the pair of them, they had better) but more importantly Rich Malcolm has joined us on the trip for the foreseeable future. Rich had just finished on the halibut boat, saw that we were stuck in Calgary, and then decided to fly out to join us on the trek. The day after Rich arrived was a busy affair; we had to find a bike and all of the necessary camping gear so that we could head out on the road the next morning. It was quite the shopping experience, but we managed to get it all done.

The ride out of Calgary was great, we were on bike paths virtually the entire way, and then moved onto a low-traffic rural highway where had a bit of a tailwind. After spending the night in Beiseker, we made to Drumheller in time for lunch and spent the afternoon wandering around the Royal Tyrell museum. I hadn't been in some number of years and was pleasantly surprised to see that it's been changed up quite a bit. I was also pleasantly surprised to hear that Aiden enjoyed the museum, and get this, thought it was better than the Dino exhibit in the Royal Ontario Museum (as hard as it is to believe, he is a diehard Toronto fanboy.) The guys are getting ready to start Shrek 3 so I think I am going to join them. If we don't have a horrific head wind from the North we'll be going to visit the Big Valley Creation Science Museum which will be good for a laugh. Thanks to everyone that helped to host us in Calgary, especially my Grandpa put up with us for longer than initially planed.

3 comments:

Sheila said...

The Smithsonian is pretty special too, but I would really like to see the Tyrrell. I hope you were kind to the Creation Museum people - did they convince you that Darwin was the devil incarnate?
Hello to Rich - if you are still with the guys through Ontario, we'll see you then!

Adrian Corscadden said...

I'm pretty stoked for your visit to the creationist museum. I'm praying for no head wind.

Take lots of pictures!

ps Hi Rich!

Unknown said...

Tyler it was great experience for me when you guys broke down in Calgary. Glad to meet your friends, had a lot of fun. How are the legs holding up Rich?