Route Map

Loading Map

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Equipment Stats

Number of tires replaced:
Aiden- 3
Tyler- 1
Number of busted tubes:
Aiden- 7 (1 pincher + 6 flats)
Tyler- 1 (1 bust valve stem + 1 flat)
We figured the reason for the difference here is that I weigh more so I put more pressure on my tires .

Number of brake pads replaced:
Aiden- 3 pairs (though I replaced another 2 pairs when I got to Ontario.)
Tyler- 1 pair (he had disc brakes as opposed to rim brakes so generally they were less fuss and worked better.)

Number of destroyed pannier rack sets:
Aiden- 0 (well one metal support was snapped when I got home but it that happened during the trip I didn't notice.)
Tyler- 3 (thank you-crazy Arkel panniers of doom.)

Number of broken spokes:
Aiden- 0
Tyler- 9 (that one is Kona's fault for putting on plain gauge spokes instead of buttered.)

Busted chain?
Aiden- No but I needed a new one after the trip for sure.
Tyler- Once in Manitoba.

Miscellaneous damage:
Aiden- One bent quick release (thanks Greyhound), destroyed handlebar tape, 2 gear cables (thanks Quebec mud), and a new cassette was needed at the end.
Tyler- Bright shiny new set of shifters was needed in Calgary and new wheels needed in Cape Breton because of the lame spokes.


The moral of the story is that if your cycling across Canada remember:

A) Get hardcore rims with 36 buttered spokes.
B) Have disc brakes instead of rim brakes.
C) If you want hardcore panniers get an equally as hardcore rack to hold them.
D) Lay off the party packs of cheese snakes and don't weigh 200 pounds.

No comments: