Route Map

Loading Map

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Into the Mountains

Today started early, we were out and heading to Hope by shortly after 8:00 AM. The ride from Kilby to Hope was a good one, we finished off the rest of the Peter Loughead Highway and were in Hope by lunchtime (~50 k). We would have been in quite a bit early had it not been for the mechanical failure on my bike. Aiden and I were riding along this nice flat strectch of road when I heard this metalic 'ping.' At first I thought it was a spoke that had gone on my front wheel, but when looking down it was aparent that a weld on the rack which holds one of my front paniers had snapped and was causing the panier to dangle dangerously close to the spokes. Aiden did a first rate repair job with some duct tape, we noticed that the rack on the other side was showing fatigue on the weld in the same spot so we tapped that up too. We needed to pick up some more brake pads in Hope before entering the mountains so I thought I'd ask the guy for a front rack also. To my disguist they were selling the identical front racks, needless to say, I did not buy them. Probably will try a different brand at the next bike store I see and send these ones to the bike store in Ottawa to try and get my money back...
Leaving Hope to Sunshine Valley was quite the treck. It was 20+ kms of virtually all uphil cycling with the last 6 kms at a 7-8% grade. Aiden and I were rather proud of ourselves, we got up the last part with stopping only four times. The plan was to find a camp site in Sunshine Valley, because we knew for sure that the next one was halfway through Manning Park, so a distance we weren't prepared to be cycling. It seemed luck was just not with us today, Sunshine Valley was devoid of anysort of camground, so we were forced to through up our tent just off the highway and a picknick area at the enterance of Manning Park. Despite those two hick ups the day was great, clear skies the whole way, and some really nice roads to ride on.

UPDATE: We are now a fair ways into the interior, I am updating this from the sidewalk infront of a closed coffee shop (stupid long weeked) in Osoyoos and it is cookin' outside. Next time I get internet look out for some new pictures, off to Anarchist summit now...

No comments: